Monday 13 October 2014

About Me

IMG_2572        heart veg   heart veg   heart veg
Hey everyone!
Welcome to Sophiesticated Health! I am so excited to start writing this blog and share my food journey with you. My aim is to offer an honest account of how food can affect the way you look, but more importantly how you feel and to take control where you may have otherwise felt helpless.
My story stems from years of struggling with problem skin. After exploring every avenue in the quest for clear skin I finally turned my focus to healing myself from within. Disappointed with my GP not taking my condition seriosuly and after being oversubscribed antibiotics for over 10 years I decided to take things into my own hands. I wanted to get to the root cause of my problem, as issues within the body often show themselves through the skin.
I have always LOVED food and for previous years; having an extremely high metabolism I would eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted (at the time, not making the link between the food I was eating and the health of my skin and general well-being).
After learning about the negative effects of processed foods I decided this was the best place for me to start. I began slowly, starting with taking a conscious effort to read the labels on the food I was buying; looking for products with the least amount of ingredients(or at least ones I could pronounce). Following on from this I cut out dairy, removing the majority of cheese from my diet and replacing cows milk with alternatives such as: soy, rice or almond(I have found my body doesn't seem to agree with almond milk and soy in general is believed to contain many toxins bad for the body).
Slowly I started to wean myself of processed foods until I got to the point I am at now; eating whole (organic where possible) raw foods. This new way of eating has changed my life for the better and knowing exactly what I am putting into my body helps me sleep easier at night (literally).
My existing belief was that by cutting out the foods I used to love (and crave) I would be more restricted in the meals I could make...this couldn't be further from the truth! Meal-times nowadays are much more exciting, colourful and the taste of the dishes you can create is incredible. I look forward to eating everyday in the knowledge that I am providing my body with the nutrition it needs to be the best it can be.
I hope you will join me in my journey to better health, better skin.
In my blog I will be sharing the following:
My story -  the steps I took, things that worked for me, things that didn't
A list of the core staples that should be in everyones cupboards
A guide to key ingredients specifically for the skin
Selection of whole food recipes - smoothies, breakfast, mains
Skin care - natural, organic products that are currently on the market and my experiences with them
I hope you enjoy reading my posts and I look forward to answering any queries you may have.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment